A. Yes/No Question
Yes/No Questions are questions which answers are either yes or no. To build a yes/no question we need:
- To be (is, am, are, was, were)
· Is he an actor? Yes, he is.
· Was the doctor in? Yes, he was.
- Helping verb / auxiliary verb (do, does, did)
· Do you know him? No, I don’t.
· Did he do this? No, he didn’t.
- Modals (can, may, should, must, might, could, will, shall)
· Can you help me? Yes, I can.
· Should you go now? No, I shouldn’t.
Wh-Questions are questions with detailed answers. Wh-Questions are usually begun with:
- Who (people) – to ask for someone as a subject
· Who won the game? They did.
- Whom (people) – to ask for someone as an object.
· Whom is she waiting for? She is waiting for Siti.
- Whose – to ask for someone’s possession
· Whose book is this? It’s mine.
- Which – to ask for someone’s choice
· Which one do you like best? I like this one.
- What – to ask for information
· What are you doing? I’m typing a test.
- Where – to ask for information about place
· Where are you? I’m in here.
- When – to ask for information about time
· When will the class begin? At 7 am.
- How – to ask for information about some specific things: how many/much, how old, how long, how far, how fast, how often, etc.
Look at the conversation below and make a true/false statement from it!
Hani gets a gift from her mother. She is very happy.
Mother: Honey, your father said that he would take you to the department store.
Hani : Hooray! That's wonderful. When do we go there, Mom?
Mother: Perhaps after dinner. Father will buy a new pair of shoes for you. You know, we both are so proud of your performance at school.
Hani : Thanks, Mom. I am also very proud to have parents like you both.
Mother: You are a wonderful daughter. I'm so lucky to be your Mom.
Hani : Thanks Mom.
Deni tells Andi bad news. Rudi, his friend, has just got an accident.
Deni : Hi, Andi. I’ve heard that Rudi fell off when he was riding his motorcycles.
Andi : Oh really? My God! What happened?
Deni : He was riding in a big storm. He must have skidded in the rain.
Andi : Oh I am so sorry to hear that. Was he badly injured?
Deni : He was. He couldn't walk. He broke his legs.
Andi : Where is he now? Is he in the hospital?
Deni : He is still in the Emergency Unit of Sumber Waras Hospital.
Andi : I'll go to the hospital right away.
‘Wh - ’ Questions
Complete each sentence, using what, where, when, who or why:
1. _________________ ’s the time please?
2. _________________ did I just say?
3. _________________ do you think you are?
4. _________________ is my coat?
5. _________________ do you want to leave? This evening?
6. _________________ didn’t you go to college this morning?
7. _________________ was the Battle of Hastings?
8. _________________ are you looking for?
9. _________________ ’s your name?
10. _________________ is the front door open?
11. _________________ is the star of ‘Spiderman’?
12. _________________ didn’t you call me last night?
13. _________________ do you live?
14. _________________ did you go to last night?
15. “_________________ did you leave school?” “In 1994.”
16. _________________ do you work?
17. _________________ were you talking to yesterday?
18. _________________ ’s going on?
19. _________________ are you still in bed at four in the afternoon?
20. _________________ is your birthday?
For more WATCH this...